Sunday, December 23, 2012

MommaMilly & PoppaBuddy

This past week was a really hard one. On Wednesday, while at work, I got a phone call from my sister. I could tell by her voice that something was wrong.
After she told me what had happened, I don't remember too much, except crying and my best friend, Kari, driving me home.
My Mother's parents had been in a car accident. And my Grandfather, who we call PoppaBuddy, had passed away. My Grandmother, who we call MommaMilly, was being life flighted to Herman Memorial in downtown in Houston.
Cody, Liv and I drove down to Houston and when I finally got to see MommaMilly my heart was more broken.
In my head I was so thankful that the weekend before, we had kept the tradition we have done for so many years, of helping them pick a Christmas tree out at the tree farm, and put it up. I was feeling sick that day, but I still went and took pictures.
We left a little earlier than we normally do, because I wasn't feeling well. I almost walked out the door without hugging PoppaBuddy, but I went back in and hugged him and told him I would see him soon.
That was the last time I saw him. I know I will see him again one day, and that things this holiday season and probably those to come will be different and hard. But at least our family has each other. And I got to hug him one last time.
I told MommaMilly she had all of us there. We all still have each other and everyone was in the emergency room. I'm sure we broke some sort of record of family members in the emergency room.
MommaMilly went home Friday night. She fractured her T2 and T9 vertebrae, her sternum, 2 ribs and a bone in her knee. She is in a body brace. And everyone is taking care of each other.
Hold your family close. Kiss them. Always hug them. You never know if it will be the last time. 

Here are a few pictures that I took on Saturday, December 15th. He was very happy he picked the tree this year!

 MommaMilly didn't want to get her hair wet, but wanted her hands free to look at the trees and take pictures (that's who I get it from!).

 He always got the ornaments ready for us to hang up...


This one is from 2008, but its always been one of my favorites...




No comments:

Post a Comment